VQ Day Celebrations
l-r: Kurt Nagy, Matthew Cottage, Principal – Stuart Wesselby, Natalie Campbell, Joshua Elliott-Binns.
Tresham has once again joined in with national celebrations for VQ Day on 20th June 2012 by awarding its own VQ Hero awards to a group of learners selected for achieving over and above on their vocational qualifications.
VQ Day was established five years ago to demonstrate the stature and benefits of practical and vocational qualifications to future learners, employers opinion formers and the wider public.
Tresham’s Principal, Stuart Wesselby, presented certificates and gold medals to nominated VQ Heroes from various vocational programmes to recognise their achievements and commitment to succeed despite difficult journeys and experiences at school.
Many learners at Tresham come to study vocational qualifications as it is suited to their style of learning and as Tresham remained in the top 20 for student success in colleges across the UK for the last three years.
Learners awarded on VQ Day at Tresham included adult learners who decided to return to learning after bad experiences at school as well as younger learners who felt that the college environment was more suited to their style of learning and offered the opportunity to be more independent.
Stuart Wesselby, Principal of Tresham said:
“Our VQ Hero presentation was a chance to celebrate a small number of our learners and the success they have demonstrated whilst studying a vocational qualification. Although the unemployment figures released today show a slight fall in the number of young people without a job, this will not alter Tresham’s focus on ensuring that our learners are equipped with the best vocational skills to increase their chance of employment at the end of their course.”
Tresham VQ Hero Awards were presented to:
- Adam Langley, BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Sport
- Alex McLean, CACHE Level 3 Diploma in Childcare and Education
- Joshua Elliott-Brown, BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Uniformed Public Services
- Kurt Nagy, BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Performing Arts
- Lee White, NVQ Level 2 Diploma in Hairdressing
- Matthew Cottage, NVQ Level 2 Diploma in Decorative Occupations
- Natalie Campbell, NVQ Level 2 in Beauty Therapy
- Victoria Coals, BTEC Level 3 National Diploma in Travel and Tourism