‘VQ’ Class of 2015
Tresham has joined the national celebrations for VQ Day (Vocational Qualification) by recognising twelve students for their vocational achievement. A presentation ceremony took place on VQ Day – Wednesday 10th June 2015 with awards presented by Principal, Stuart Wesselby at the college’s Manor Restaurant, Corby.
VQ Day 2015 is the eighth annual celebration of vocational qualifications and aims to highlight the benefits of practical and vocational qualifications to school leavers, employers, opinion formers and the wider public.
Tresham’s Principal, Stuart Wesselby, presented certificates to 12 students from across all three main campuses in Corby, Kettering and Wellingborough covering various vocational programmes and apprenticeships. Three local employers were also awarded as Employer of the Year to recognise the support they have given to vocational training their workforce.
Many students at Tresham decide to study vocational qualifications as they are more suited to their style of learning through a variety of assessment and practical learning with the knowledge that they can still progress to university or employment as they could with A Levels.
Students presented with certificates at the ceremony included students who have remained committed to learning despite dealing with illness and others who have worked over and above to achieve despite being more mature and having other commitments outside of studying. Many students at Tresham feel that the college environment is more suited to their style of learning and encourages them to be more independent making them ready for work or progressing to university.
Stuart Wesselby, Principal at Tresham said:
“Our VQ Student of the Year presentation is always a great chance for us to celebrate a small number of the many successful students we have at Tresham after choosing to study a vocational qualification after GCSEs. It’s important for us to continue offering the skills training our community needs and I am pleased to say that we continue to work with employers to ensure that we can increase these opportunities with more apprenticeships being offered each year as well as vocational qualifications to meet the skills gap in Northamptonshire.”
VQ Student of the Year 2015 certificates were presented to:
- Joe West (BTEC Level 3 in Applied Science (Forensic Science))
- Callum Oldfield (City & Guilds Level 1 in Plastering)
- Eerik Parv (City & Guilds Intermediate Diploma in Beck Joinery)
- Tassali Charlemagne (CACHE Level 3 Diploma in Childcare and Education)
- Shannon Sanders (BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Sport)
- Jordan Bodsworth (BTEC Level 3 in Travel and Tourism)
- Robert Croft (BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Public Services)
- Liam Darn (Apprentice: Painting and Decorating)
- Alice Worthington (Apprentice: Business and Administration)
- Katie Cridge (Apprentice: Accounting)
- Nick Blundall (Apprentice: Engineering)
- Karl Finlay (Apprentice: Motor Vehicle)
VQ Small Employer of the Year 2015:
- JKS Electrical Services
VQ Large Employer of the Year 2015 (jointly awarded):
- RS Components
- Dr Martens