This course is ideal for Mentors within the Lifelong Learning Sector who want to provide a theoretical framework to the work they do. It is ideal for Advanced Practitioners, CertEd/ PGCE mentors and new to institution mentors. The course is delivered through blended (flexible) learning with a mixture of taught sessions and those offered online through the Virtual Learning Environment (VLE).
The course covers the following areas:
• To explore the theory and practice for the mentoring role
• To model good practice in teaching and in advancing pupils learning
• To review the professional values and practice necessary for effective mentoring
• To examine the stages in developing a mentoring relationship
• To identify the ethical dimensions of the mentoring role
• To explore a range of mentoring styles and practical approaches
• To reflect on personal skills in mentoring and ways of continuing professional development in the role
• To provide an opportunity to explore an aspect of mentoring in more depth
This standalone University Certificate in Continuing Professional Development (CPD) is worth 30 Higher Education credits at Level 5. Although a standalone qualification the credit can be used towards a degree at a University.
Assessment on the course is via a system of credits. Credits are awarded when students can demonstrate through a portfolio of work or project that they have met the Learning Outcomes of the modules. Some Learning Outcomes are related to practical skills, others to knowledge gained. When students have gained credits for all the modules, they receive the overall award. Additional study will be required outside College. All assessments are subject to moderation by the University and also by an external moderator.
Pay by instalments
The College offers an instalment plan for Further Education and Higher Education courses to students where the total amount payable at the point of enrolment is £200 or more. Within the scheme there is an ability to pay up to 7 instalments, depending on the length of the courses and the final payment must be paid at least a month before the end of the course.
You will be required to attend an interview.