The NEBOSH National General Certificate is an examined basic qualification for people who are involved in health and safety at work. Such people include newly appointed safety officers without previous experience, managers and supervisors with part-time responsibility for health and safety and also safety representatives.
On this course candidates will learn how to:
- identify the common hazards and unsafe practices likely to be found in workplaces and know the appropriate preventive and protective measures to be taken
- monitor policies, procedures and performance in ensuring health and safety in the workplace
- use proactive and reactive strategies to prevent or control the risk of accidents and ill health
- communicate effectively on health and safety matters
- maintain an information retrieval system and disseminate information when needed
- investigate events which led, or might have led, to death, injury, ill-health or a dangerous occurrence: prepare formal reports and make logical and cost effective proposals to prevent a repetition
- identify the main requirements of health, safety and welfare legislation and approved codes of practise which apply to the workplace
- use reference material to identify the requirements of health and safety legislation and to ensure sound health and safety practices
- undertake workplace inspections, note any hazards and the way they are safeguarded, safe and unsafe working practices and recommended appropriate and cost effective remedial action
Students who successfully complete their NEBOSH qualification and who have a suitable level of experience in a health and safety role are able to apply for Technician membership (Tech IOSH) of The Institute of Safety and Health (IOSH) and Associate membership (AIIRSM) of The International Institute of Risk and Safety Management (IIRSM).
Pay by instalments
The College offers an instalment plan for Further Education and Higher Education courses to students where the total amount payable at the point of enrolment is £200 or more. Within the scheme there is an ability to pay up to 6 instalments, depending on the length of the courses and the final payment must be paid at least a month before the end of the course.
For more information visit: www.nebosh.org.uk/qualifications/national-general-certificate/
For more advice on course fees and funding, please contact our Customer Enquiries and Admissions Team on 01536 413123.