The course will build on students learning from the counselling studies course and equip students to be able to work with clients in an agency setting. This Level 4 diploma in counselling is underpinned by the person-centred model. Methods of study will include lectures, skills practices, discussion groups, presentations and experiential workshops.
We have well established links with a number of counselling agencies in Northamptonshire which we can use to ensure that you can identify a suitable work placement as part of the course.
Modules include*: Working ethically, safely and professionally as a counsellor; Working within a counselling relationship; Working with client diversity in counselling work; Working within a user-centred approach to counselling; Working with self- awareness in the counselling process; Working within a coherent framework of counselling theory and skills and Working self-reflectively as a counsellor. (*Modules may be subject to change).
The course will prepare you for further study at Level 5 in Therapeutic Counselling. This qualification also currently offers routes onto professional body registers including BACP and NCS.
You will need to be proficient in both internal and external assessment and meet all the other qualification requirements to be awarded this diploma.
Internal Assessment is carried out on your portfolio by internal teaching staff and externally verified by our awarding body CPCAB. Additionally you will be required to complete exams which are externally governed by the CPCAB.
Your portfolio will include :
• 3 assignments, case studies, presentations, a research project and learning reviews
• A record of at least 20 hours of personal therapy
• A record of 100 hours of counselling in placement, and adequate clinical supervision
• Supervisor and agency manager reports
You will need to take part in the following range of activities as part of the course:
• Group activities which will involvdiscussions on thoughts and feelings with fellow students and tutors, give and receive verbal feedback with others in the group and commit to exploring own values, beliefs and attitudes
• Become a member of the BACP or other professional counselling body and to work ethically and safely at all times in conjunction with their ethical framework
• Take out indemnity insurance if it is not provided by the agency at which you do your work placement.
The course is not suitable for anyone who is currently experiencing emotional or psychological problems, as it involves personal disclosure and self awareness. Dual relationships such as close friendships and intimate relationships are not permitted.
If you are aged 19 or over and thinking of studying a Level 3, 4 or 5 courses, you may be entitled to an Advanced Learning Loan to help pay your tuition costs. These loans are not means-tested and are offered regardless of your current employment status. They cover the cost of your course and you dont have to repay the loan until you are earning over £21,000 per year.
Please see the fees and funding section for more details.
If you are taking a course costing more than £100 we can arrange for you to pay your fees in up to 7 monthly instalments, depending on the length of your course. An admin fee of £20 is charged for this service. Full terms and conditions will be supplied when you enrol.
For more advice on course fees and funding, please contact our Customer Services Team on 01536 413123.