This distance learning course will enable you to gain additional skills and a qualification without disrupting your day-to-day life. You will have access to specialist support from dedicated tutors throughout the programme.
By completing the qualification, you will develop in-depth knowledge of autism which could support progression onto appropriate qualifications and into relevant employment in the health and social care sector. The objectives of this qualification are to gain knowledge and understanding of autism, including:
• how to adopt a positive approach to supporting individuals with autism
• the current legislative framework relating to individuals with autism and how different theories have developed over time
• how to support and manage transitions for individuals with autism
• the range of therapeutic interventions and support available for individuals with autism and co-occurring conditions
• how to support communication and social interaction for individuals with autism
• how to develop an understanding of how individuals with autism may be vulnerable and the support workers role and responsibilities relating to safeguarding according to legislative requirements.
The units you will study are:
1. Autism in context
2. Positive behavioural support for individuals with autism
3. Understand support and management of transitions for individuals with autism
4. Therapeutic interventions and support available for individuals with autism and co-occurring conditions
5. Communication and social interaction with individuals with autism
6. Safeguarding and resilience in autism
Once it has been confirmed that you have fully completed the course, there are several next steps that you can take. You can go on to study another level two or 3 distance learning course. Alternatively, you could enrol on to the Access to Higher Education course (subject to interview)
By completing any of the above courses, you will gain the skills and knowledge that employers find desirable within the Health and Social Care Sector. It is also a great opportunity for continuous professional development.
You will be provided with access to an online portal with e-resources and online assessments.