A breakfast fit for a Diamond Queen!
With the sausages sizzling and frying pans flying, this year’s Carlsberg UK Northamptonshire Food and Drink Awards are kicking off with a right royal feast as it prepares to stage the cook-off in the search for the ‘Northamptonshire Jubilee Breakfast 2012/13′!
The Awards, devised by Northamptonshire Enterprise Partnership (NEP), are aimed at celebrating all that is great about local produce and drink, recognising excellence within the county’s dining venues and rewarding those who work so hard within the culinary sector.
The cook-off, which is taking place on Friday (1st June) in the training kitchens of the ‘The Manor Restaurant’ in Corby, part of Tresham College of Further and Higher Education, will see four shortlisted county venues (listed below in alphabetical order) cook and serve a two-course breakfast and accompanying drink on a royal theme to a select panel of judges.
- Charterhouse Retreat (Flore),
- Hope Enterprises (Northampton),
- Oundle Mill (Oundle)
- The Church Restaurant (Northampton)
Judges include Tresham’s Head of School for Service Industries, Fiona Phillip, and the new Mayor of Corby, Mohammed Rahman, who’ll be performing one of his first official duties in his new role.
Heading up the judging panel is Richard Curtis, Lecturer in Catering at Northampton College, who has already had a sneak preview of the quartet’s entries;
“I don’t want to give away too much about the dishes at this stage but needless to say I’m really impressed by the enthusiasm with which all our entrants approached the Jubilee theme”
said Richard “and certainly choosing our finalists was an incredibly difficult task! If the standard of the final breakfasts match up to that incredible level of creativity, it should be a fabulous cook-off!”
Those are sentiments echoed by the Awards’ co-ordinator, Rachel Mallows of The Mallows Company, who is delighted to have added this category to the competition to mark the Diamond Jubilee; “We wanted to try to find a way to encourage the county’s cafes, hotels and B&Bs to get involved in this increasingly prestigious competition,” she explained, “and since food and festivities go hand in hand, the search for a great Jubilee breakfast seemed the perfect way to celebrate the Queen’s sixty years on the throne! I’m only sorry that I’m not allowed to be a judge as I think it’s going to be a very tasty task!”
The category, introduced this year thanks to the generous support of sponsors Explore Communications Ltd, is one of a total of twelve in this year’s Awards:
- ‘New Local Product of the Year’ – sponsored by Whitworth Bros. Ltd
- ‘New Local Drink of the Year’ – sponsored by Beckworth Emporium
- ‘Artisan Local Product/Drink of the Year’ – sponsored by Leatherhead Food Research with Image Magazine
- ‘Restaurant of the Year’ – sponsored by Whitco with Business Times
- ‘Pub or Bar Restaurant of the Year’ – sponsored by Whitco with Great Food Magazine
- ‘Community Pub of the Year – Town’ – with Chronicle & Echo and Evening Telegraph
- ‘Community Pub of the Year – Rural’ – with Chronicle & Echo and Evening Telegraph
- ‘Booker Chef of the Year’ – sponsored by Booker with Taste Magazine
- ‘Young Chef of the Year’ – sponsored by Booker
- ‘Spice Chef of the Year’ – sponsored by British Pepper and Spice in conjunction with Northampton College and with WOW Magazine
- ‘Local Food Hero’ – sponsored by CPRE Northants (Campaign to Protect Rural England) with Aspire Magazine
- ‘Northamptonshire Jubilee Breakfast’ – sponsored by Explore Communications Ltd
The results of the ‘Northamptonshire Jubilee Breakfast’ cook-off will be announced on the day as part of the jubilee celebrations for the double bank holiday weekend while the results of the other eleven categories (which continue over the next three months) will not be revealed until the Awards Dinner taking place at The Wing, Silverstone on Wednesday 14th November. Tickets priced at £80.00 (plus VAT) are available by calling Rachel Mallows on 01933 664437 or emailing email@example.com
For more details on all twelve categories in the Carlsberg UK Northamptonshire Food and Drink Awards 2012/13, including downloading entry forms or how to nominate in both of the ‘Community Pub of the Year’ and ‘Local Food Hero of the Year’ categories, please visit http://www.letyourselfgrow/foodanddrinkawards or again contact Rachel Mallows on 01933 664437 or email firstname.lastname@example.orgBack to news